The Mission of the Hazel Hawkins Hospital Foundation is:
- To provide financial resources to support the health care activities of the San Benito Health Care District/Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital.
- To create a broad range of charitable giving opportunities for individual and family donors, business and corporate entities and other philanthropic organizations,
- To insure success by initiating and maintaining active participation, on the part of all Foundation Trustees, in an inventive and non-relenting program of individual, family, and business community solicitation throughout San Benito County.
The Hazel Hawkins Hospital Foundation, a California non-profit organization, was established in 1978 to generate financial resources that can support the care that is provided by the Hospital and the Health District. The Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the management of the Foundation’s assets and assures contributions are used appropriately.
Over the past 10 years hospitals and medical providers have been receiving less reimbursement than what it costs to provide these services. This reality creates a critical gap that must be filled in other ways.
Your Gifts at Work
The Foundation has secured and distributed millions of dollars in charitable gifts since its inception. The Foundation receives contributions from individuals, corporations, foundations and other donors that are used for facility improvements, programs, equipment purchases, scholarships and other critical needs.
The Foundation’s current campaign is Operation Renovation. This is a 3-year project to raise funds to renovate the corridors, waiting area, and 26 inpatient rooms in the main hospital. Work has begun with funds raised from year one. New high-grade easy-maintenance vinyl has replaced the carpeting throughout the hospital. Five patient rooms have been refurbished in the old OB with new patient beds, new flooring, paint, furniture, and bathroom upgrades. Work will continue in year two to refurbish seven additional rooms, and possibly the front lobby.
Previous fundraising campaigns have contributed to the following accomplishments:
- The most advanced lifesaving equipment is available in the Emergency Department
- The Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital Women’s Center opened in 2013 with 13 labor and delivery suites, newborn nursery, and a self-contained operating room. A state-of-the art Diagnostic Imaging Center is located on the second floor
- The state-of-the art Diagnostic Imaging Center located on the second floor of the Women’s Center opened in Spring 2014.
- The Ambulatory Surgery Center has the latest technology and equipment available
- San Benito County students have been awarded over $130,000 in scholarships