The Mission of the Hazel Hawkins Hospital Foundation is:
- To provide financial resources to support the health care activities of the San Benito Health Care District/Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital.
- To create a broad range of charitable giving opportunities for individual and family donors, business and corporate entities and other philanthropic organizations,
- To insure success by initiating and maintaining active participation, on the part of all Foundation Trustees, in an inventive and non-relenting program of individual, family, and business community solicitation throughout San Benito County.
The Hazel Hawkins Hospital Foundation, a California non-profit organization, was established in 1978 to generate financial resources that can support the care that is provided by the Hospital and the Health District. The Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the management of the Foundation’s assets and assures contributions are used appropriately.
Over the past 10 years hospitals and medical providers have been receiving less reimbursement than what it costs to provide these services. This reality creates a critical gap that must be filled in other ways.
Your Gifts at Work
The Foundation has secured and distributed millions of dollars in charitable gifts since its inception. The Foundation receives contributions from individuals, corporations, foundations and other donors that are used for facility improvements, programs, equipment purchases, scholarships and other critical needs.
The Foundation’s current campaign is Enhancing Our Outpatient Health Centers – “Continuing to bring more diverse healthcare to our community.”
The campaign started with the refurbishment of the Sunset Health Center and the Annex. The Sunset Health Center currently has an average of over 18,000 visits annually. Often the Center is the patient’s first time receiving care from San Benito Healthcare District. Improvements will help provide a better overall experience for our patients.
The scope of the work includes a full internal paint job, new floors, new waiting room furniture, and some new hi-low powered exam tables.
The campaign will continue to be able to provide improvements to the other Hazel Hawkins Hospital Outpatient Centers in San Juan Bautista and on Fourth Street in Hollister, and the expansion of the Mabie First Street Center. The four Rural Health Centers see over 40,000 patients a year and this number continues to increase as more patients are seen on an outpatient basis.
Previous fundraising campaigns have contributed to the following accomplishments:
- Operation Renovation – This 3-year project raised funds to renovate the corridors, waiting area, 26 inpatient rooms and the lobby in the main hospital.
- The most advanced lifesaving equipment is available in the Emergency Department.
- The Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital Women’s Center opened in 2013 with 13 labor and delivery suites, newborn nursery, and a self-contained operating room.
- The state-of-the art Diagnostic Imaging Center located on the second floor of the Women’s Center opened in 2014. The Foundation funded the 3D-Breast Ultrasound equipment.
- San Benito County students have been awarded over $175,000 in scholarships.